Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"Barney's Version" is Engaging Cinema

For the past month I have been trolling Blockbuster for the title that would knock me on my ass.  I struck the mother load with “Barney’s Version,” a tour de force made for Paul Giamatti as the hapless Canadian television producer of the usual shlock. And how ironic that Dustin Hoffman is cast as his father but then Hoffman got his start in the iconic black comedy “The Graduate.”   So here’s another black comedy based on a a best seller from Mordecai Richler who gave us “The Apprenticeship of Dudey Kravitz” which I must see again.  Most memorable is the manic Jewish wedding scene with the bride Minnie Driver and the dubious groom Giamatti hoisted in the air on chairs which was done in “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

No comments: