SAVING A HISTORIC THEATER
Ryan and Tina North are the owners and artistic directors of the historic North Garden Theater in St. Paul which opened in 1915 and closed in the early 1960s. It was remodeled in 1939.
INTERIOR OF N. GARDEN THEATER
The interior of the theater is bare bones minimalist. The brick columns on the walls are original from the theater which had a balcony and projection booth. The owners invested in lighting and a sound system. Acoustics at the N. Garden are acceptable.
Archival photos from the University of Minnesota were helpful in restoring the exterior which includes a few marquee, but only blue prints were available for the interior design. The couple bought the theater days before it was to be demolished. The previous owner used it for storage.