Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Idaho Statesman Friends

left to right: Paul, photographer; Ralph Nichols & Jim Golden; Dave Frazier, Ken Burroughs.

IDAHO FRIENDS
I’ve known Duane Mitchell of Caldwell, Ida. since the mid-1960s when we were boarders at Mrs. Cook’s house in Boise on N. Sixth Street just a short drive from the Idaho Statesman where I was a reporter and he was an accounting clerk for Blue Cross.  He is still in Caldwell and I visited him and his wife Nancy in 2015.
Camp David is Dave Frazier’s mountain retreat in Southern Idaho.  It was 90 something that day and forest fires in Central Idaho.  Fraze was a classmate at the Idhao Statesman where we learned news reporting.  He, the police beat, me, local government.

Hello Frisco, Goodbye.  I had arrived in Idaho at the Statesman, 6th and Bannock, across from a park and City Hall, starting as a night copy editor, headline writer and reporter before graduating to local government reporter where I won a national award for environmental reporting.  I was living in a boarding house a short distance away near what now is the hospital.  I still have a couple of friends in Boise.
Candid Statesman staffers:  Paul (photographer), good friend Ralph Nichols and city editor Jim Golden and going away party at nearby state park, fishing buddy and cop shop reporter Dave Frazier who pursued a succesful freelance photog career, Ken Burroughs, TV editor who took me on my first hunting trip in his Rambler Classic when I arrived in the fall of ’65.  Ken worked in the desk across from me on he second floor.

Mitchell left and center


1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

I was happy when Franken was elected to the Senate since Democrats rarely elect celebrities, save John Glenn.