Sunday, April 21, 2019

Mountain Man, Jack Malone

When I last saw Jack Malone, Longview, Wash., in about 2000 in Seattle he gave me this LP record that he produced in 1980 commemorating the individuality of Harry Truman and the Mt. St Helens volcano eruption.  Jack, a lifelong Republican, could have been amused that a “whiskey drinking mountain man” of courage had the same name as a Democrat president.  This collection of blue grass country includes “Don’t Send Your Ash to Town” by Willy and the Woodchucks.  Truman refused to leave his home near the volcano.
  I knew Jack at Roosevelt Grade School and Lewis and Clark High School in Spokane and the University of Washington.  In the 70s he managed an FM rock radio station which would have been a great opportunity for a book with photos.

1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

Yea, President Truman was a Democrat, but I bet he would have a lot to say about the current crop of presidential candidates. I'm sure he would be a Democrat today, but from what I have read, neither party escaped his scorn.