Friday, April 10, 2020

Carnival of Souls

ZOMBIE CITY
On a trip to Salt Lake City a few years ago, I convinced Mike that we needed to see Saltair, the site of the 1962 cult classic movie, “Carnival of Souls.”  Here I am at the rebuilt palladium and below is the historic building that burned down sometime after the film was released.  
I was pumped up about this destination from an article in Ford Times that I read when I was working at The Statesman in Boise.  The SLC library has a book on Saltair’s history.  Herk Harvey (producer-director) was sufficiently inspired seeing the deserted amusement park that he enterprised a movie based on the total spookiness of the site. I bought the Image DVD in SLC but Criterion may also market a DVD on COS.

ALOHA FROM KAWIKA
I didn’t get it right at the ’91 party in Honolulu so I did a week long refresher in 2017 aboard the Pride of America where I was given a Hawaiian name, Kawika.

The Star Advertiser reports today:  Hawaii recorded its third death from the virus “on Friday as state officials activated up to 250 troops from the Hawaii National Guard to help with airport screenings and other tasks in the battle against the growing pandemic that has topped 300 cases in the islands.”

1 comment:

Mike Barer said...

Very nice! Stay healthy!